We’re working on this new Top 5 Reasons series to help you become familiar with all of the Career Step programs—not just the one you’re enrolled in or graduated from. This month we’re featuring the Professional Medical Coding and Billing program. Next to our Medical Transcription course, Career Step has been training medical coding and billing professionals the longest. There’s a lot that we could talk about, but since we have to narrow it down to 5, here’s what we chose:
- AHIMA student membership included – In the medical coding and billing industry, the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) is one of the leading and largest industry associations. A student membership in AHIMA is included with your enrollment, which means you will have access to AHIMA’s mentor program, online peer communities, member discounts, and quality industry information. The connections you make with other HIM professionals through the membership will give you a distinct advantage in the job market.
- Practical, hands-on experience – Every Career Step program is designed to prepare you to not only get a job, but to excel in the workforce. In the Professional Medical Coding and Billing program, this means lots of hands-on experience actually coding genuine medical records and reports (there are 300+ in the course!). Students have access to a complete online library of references and receive printed versions of the most up-to-date industry codebooks. They then get lots of practice using all of those resources in real-world situations, making sure they’re prepared to earn employer-recognized credentials and start working right after graduation.
- Certification preparation – Though certification is not always required for employment, the industry is moving in that direction, so earning an employer-recognized credential after graduation is a big step toward standing out in the job market and gaining employment. The Career Step Professional Medical Coding and Billing program prepares students for the CCA (Certified Coding Associate) credential offered by AHIMA and the CPC (Certified Professional Coder) credential offered by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC), both of which can open doors to employment and increase a graduate’s earning potential. We even provide a free exam voucher for the exam of your choice (a $300 value), making it even easier to earn your credential after graduation.
- ICD-10 experienced school – The healthcare industry is has transition to ICD-10. Career Step was one of the first schools to train for this new code set. Career Step was also heavily involved in helping employers train their employees for the switch. This means our students are training with the same curriculum employers are using for their employees!
- Affordability – The Career Step Professional Medical Coding and Billing program offers incredible value. For less than $3,500 students are prepared for a career with staring salaries of $40,000 a year. This gets graduates in the door of a field that also has lots of opportunity for advancement and specialization (which all increase earning potential) with just a little experience or additional education.
Let’s hear from a few Medical Coding and Billing graduates. What do you think of our list? Anything else that should be included?