Last updated: 5/24/2022
COLLECTION AND STORAGE
- Your browser
- Your Internet domain
- Your computer’s operating system
- The links you followed to enter and leave our website
- Your IP Address
CAREERSTEP collects and stores in our database certain personal information provided when you request information from us, communicate with us, or sign up in one of our courses, as well as information provided by third parties, including our affiliate sister companies. This information may include without limitation: name, address, email address, birth date, phone number, customer ID, social security number, prior education, course progress, scores, completion status, and financial status. In addition we may collect your credit card number in order to process your sign up and collect payment.
We do not ever knowingly collect information from children under the age of thirteen, nor is our website designed to provide any service to children under the age of thirteen. If you are under thirteen, please do not give us any personal information. If you have reason to believe that a child has provided personal information to us, please contact us and we will attempt to remove that information from our databases.
USE OF INFORMATION
Non-personally identifiable information is used to help us improve our website by enabling us to discover and address the needs of our website visitors. This includes making our website accessible to the various web browsers and operating systems used to access our website.
By supplying your contact information when requesting information or signing up in one of our courses, you authorize CAREERSTEP and its agents (outsource calls centers and academic partners) to contact you (using the information you provide to us) about CAREERSTEP or its agent’s products and services, including product releases and updates, seminars, events, surveys, trainings, and special offers. You can opt-out of future communications from CAREERSTEP by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-888-657-5752.
Unless expressly prohibited by a learner in writing, in furtherance of certain training and job placement objectives, CAREERSTEP reserves the right to release learner’s email addresses to certain third parties in order for the learner to request special training software included with program and share learner information on an as needed basis as follows:
|Types Of Information||Available To|
|Program progress, completion status, and scores||Employer; Potential employer with whom a learner has applied or expressed interest; Sponsor paying all or part of learner fees; Third-party resolution agencies; Third-party organization through whom a learner has signed up with CAREERSTEP|
|Financial status (fee balance)||Sponsor paying all or part of learner fees|
From time to time, CAREERSTEP may be required to provide personal information in response to a valid court order, subpoena, government investigation, or as otherwise required by law. Unless prevented by law, CAREERSTEP will attempt to notify the learner involved prior to any release of such information.
CAREERSTEP website(s) have security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. We utilize industry standard SSL encryption when accepting your credit card information during the online sign up process.
CAREERSTEP wants your information to be accurate and complete and recognizes that access and comment is necessary. You will not have the ability to change information on file, but may request a review, correction, or deletion of your data by either calling 1-888-657-5752 or emailing CAREERSTEP at email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
This section provides information organized in accordance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) for residents of California about how we handle certain personal information we have collected over the past 12 months.
- Collect. As we describe in more detail in the section above titled Collection and Storage, we collect personal information online and offline directly from consumers, automatically when consumers use the CAREERSTEP website or contact CAREERSTEP by phone, and from third parties (such as from our sister companies) and have collected the following categories of personal information in the past 12 months:
- Identifiers, such as your name, email address, or IP address.
- Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code 1798.80(e)).
- Commercial information (e.g., records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered).
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law, such as age.
- Internet or other similar network activity, such as information on your use of the CAREERSTEP website.
- Geolocation data.
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
- Professional or employment-related information.
- Use. The section above entitled Use of Information discloses how the categories of personal information we collect are used.
- Disclose. As we describe in more detail in the section above titled Use of Information, we may disclose the following categories of your personal information for business purposes with funding services, payment processing services, background check services, placement/externship services, and employment/hiring partners, advertisers and affiliate sister companies, or other business partners: (1) identifiers, (2) personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code 1798.80(e)), and (3) professional and employment-related information. We may also disclose the following categories of personal information for business purposes with advertisers: (1) identifiers and (2) Internet or other similar network activity.
California law also requires that we provide you with information about certain disclosures of personal information to third parties, where the disclosure involves monetary or other consideration. California treats these disclosures as “sales” of information, even if no money changes hands. Some of the disclosures we have made in the last 12 months may constitute “sales” under California law and involve the disclosure of the following types of personal information to partners, advertisers, and our affiliate sister companies: (1) identifiers; (2) personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code 1798.80(e)), (3) professional and employment-related information; and (4) Internet or other similar network activity. You may exercise your right to opt out of “sales” by clicking this Do Not Sell My Personal Information link and following the instructions. We do not sell personal information from consumers under 16 years old
Requests for Deletion, Copy and Right to Know Your Information. California consumers have the right to make the following requests:
- Deletion. You have the right to request deletion of personal information that we have collected about you.
- Copy and Right to Know. You have the right to request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you over the past 12 months, including the categories of information, sources, and purposes of collection, as well as categories of third parties we have shared it with.
- Designated Agent. You may designate an agent to make a request on your behalf. That agent must have access to your account in order for us to verify the request. The agent must also provide proof that you gave the agent signed permission to submit the request on your behalf
You may submit deletion, copy and right to know requests by either calling 1-888-657-5752 or emailing CAREERSTEP at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also submit a deletion, copy and right to know request by emailing CAREERSTEP at email@example.com. We may need to verify your identity before completing your rights request by, for example, requesting additional information from you.
Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you, including by denying or providing a different level or quality of goods or services should you choose to exercise your options under the CCPA.
The CAREERSTEP sister companies include Penn Foster, Inc, the Distance Education Company, Ashworth College, and Sokanu.